My name is Mrs. Levey and I am currently teaching 6th grade Language Arts at Wakefield Middle School in Raleigh, NC.


At home, I am the wife to a man always on the go and two growing girls who keep me very busy. When we are not running to orchestra or dance class, we are off to a picnic a the park or some other adventure, including our favorite vacation spot - Disney World.


This blog follows my thoughts on my reading, mostly the ones for Middle Readers, and the adventures of finding that right job...

Monday, July 16, 2012

First day of Podcasting

On our first day of class, Dr. Franklin asked us to create a podcast.  No direction on what to use, just use what you want to create this.  The focus - to create an interview about our thoughts on digital writing.  Ashley (my partner in this endever) and I turned my computer to Garage Band, something I have never used before.  After going out to a desk, we just started talking.  Normal talking, nothing too fancy.  I asked Ashley a question, she answered, we recorded our conversation.  Then we turned it around and did the same thing in our different roles.  This really was the easy part of creating our podcast.  See, for some reason, my little blogging site doesn't like audio files.  So after lots of fidgeting with iTunes, iMovie, and YouTube, I was finally able to create a video that I could link to my blog.  Ashley is using edublog, which made it easy to link in her podcast because it had a media button.  So we were able to see two ways to do something.  I am hoping to find a quicker way to do this, because creating a podcast and then turning it into a video file is not going to be the solution for creating podcasts.  It is too time consuming.  And if it is time consuming for me, my students won't be able to get their work done at all.

Rob's Interview

My Interview


My professor has mentioned a site called Voice Thread.  I am going to have to learn more about it.

Ideas for using podcasts:
  • Vocal Journal
  • Additional tools for students
  • Teaching listening, summarizing
  • Teaching the nuts and bolts of a project
  • Create a podcast on directions for an assignment
  • Teaching lessons on getting things done quickly as in the future we don't have weeks to work on a project
  • Have the students create a podcast piece as a piece of the process so that we can hear how it sounds and see if it sounds right
My second attempt at a podcast -it needs some work, maybe rerecorded but here it is.  


No comments:

Post a Comment