My name is Mrs. Levey and I am currently teaching 6th grade Language Arts at Wakefield Middle School in Raleigh, NC.


At home, I am the wife to a man always on the go and two growing girls who keep me very busy. When we are not running to orchestra or dance class, we are off to a picnic a the park or some other adventure, including our favorite vacation spot - Disney World.


This blog follows my thoughts on my reading, mostly the ones for Middle Readers, and the adventures of finding that right job...

Monday, July 16, 2012

First Day of the OWP Digital Writing Class

So I haven't been able to write on my blog since June.  July has been incredibly busy at my house.  Today, I start my digital writing class at MSU.

Digital writing has become second nature to me over the past few months.  I actually like it better than I like writing on paper because it is something that is open to not only myself but to others around me.  You see, because of my student teaching this fall, I had to read most of the books on Truman list.  (Not all, but I read them all anyway)  While I was reading the first book I decided I wanted to find a way to keep track of all these books and the first thing that came to mind was to blog about each book.  That way, if I forgot about a book I had something that I could look back to and jog my memory.  As I wrote it changed from just my thoughts about a book to anything that might involve the book to things that might compliment the book.  There were no restrictions to what I had to write about.  Now of course once my students see this I may think differently about my ever changing approach to writing about these books, but isn't that what this experiment was about in the first place.

I wrote for me, I wrote for them, and I wrote for others I may never know.  Writing on a piece of paper would not have done the same thing.  Not that I don't like writing in my little notebooks.  Sometimes I have to be forced to do so.  Say for a class or something like that.  But I think that gives me insite to what my students will be going through this fall in my 6th grade reading class.  They are not going to want to write, I will be lucky if they want to read.  Hopefully I can get them interested in blogging so that I can see their thoughts about the stories they are reading and not just depend on what they are saying (or not saying) out loud and the answers on their quizzes.

In February, I was lucky enough to go to the OWP conference and sign up for a four hour seminar on digital writing with Troy Hicks and Penny Kittle.  I really didn't know what to expect.  I was looking for a project to present in my Middle School Seminar class and something that I could relate back to my e-MINTS training.  Little did I know that Dr. Franklin was going to teach the class this summer.  I also had no idea when I started my blog that it would be not only used in my 6th grade reading class, but also in my OWP class.  What luck!!  Anyway, the seminar that I took with Mr. Hicks ended up being more than just making a video (and convincing me to give up my PC), it actually put in my head the idea of blogging about things and not just using it to get students to answer questions.  Which is basically what they teach us to do in IMT 365, but to get them to think about things for themselves.  And to write.  To write in a way that they are more comfortable with.  Using computers and other equipment.  Is this good for every student?  In today's society I would like to say yes, but I know differently.  I have been exposed to Title I schools and standard schools where the students are lucky if they have access to a computer.  I have also been exposed to my e-MINTS classrooms where just about every student has daily access to a computer.  There is a wide gap that we are dealing with there.  But back to my seminar.  I was able to take a piece of writing from the initial stage all the way to a video with pictures and voice over in four hours.  Think about what I could do with a classroom of students in a week with a project like that.  How we could get them to open up about the ideas in their heads and express themselves through pictures, music, and words.

Where are you with all of this:
I am getting more comfortable everyday with this process.  I wish I had more time this summer to work on it, but like I said, this month has been just a little hectic.

What are your goals for the next two weeks?
I want to be able to create some lesson plans for my Reading class, since it is an e-MINTs class that utilizes digital writing.

What are your questions about digital writing?  For your class?  For you personally? Professionally?
Questions I have:

  • How do we work around the issue where our students don't have access to technology on a daily basis? Some don't even have computers at home.
  • Besides blogging and podcasting, what are some other ways to incorporate digital writing?
After talking with my partner on this subject I ended up thinking about the different levels of digital writing.  We all do some form.  If not a blog, maybe a discussion post on blackboard.  Middle School doesn't have blackboard, but I think with them it is about twitting and posting of Facebook.  These are different types of digital writing.  Some way to express themselves in the world through writing.  Hmm - I wonder if we can use Facebook and Twitter in my classroom.  Probably not, I will have to research something a little different, but similar.


What am I thinking right now - I think we are at a precipice.  We are at the point where both work.  We are lucky to be able to move back and forth between the tangible and the intangible.  I can pickup a book and enjoy it as much as I can read a book on my iPad.  Now, I can't read that paper book when I am working out, but I can read the book on my iPad.  The technology enables me to do so.  I like the ability to choose which one I want to read from or write on.  What will happen when that is no longer an option.  I think it will be a great loss for everyone.

Digital Interview



No comments:

Post a Comment