My name is Mrs. Levey and I am currently teaching 6th grade Language Arts at Wakefield Middle School in Raleigh, NC.


At home, I am the wife to a man always on the go and two growing girls who keep me very busy. When we are not running to orchestra or dance class, we are off to a picnic a the park or some other adventure, including our favorite vacation spot - Disney World.


This blog follows my thoughts on my reading, mostly the ones for Middle Readers, and the adventures of finding that right job...

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A winner at last…

So I finally was able to look up this year’s Truman nominee winner last week.  I know, I’m a little behind in my post, but here we go.

To say that I am a bit surprised by the winner is an understatement.  I really didn’t see this one coming; I was so sure that I knew which book would win based off of my students’ preferences that I never even considered the book that was chosen.  So what is it?  Drum roll please……….

This year’s winner is Girl, Stolen.  Do you remember that one?  It was the book based on a real girl, whose car was stolen, while she was in the car.  Honestly, it was a great story and I can see why it won.  I mean here is the ultimate story of what ifs.  Our author created a compelling story of survival by thinking outside the box.

So, what do you think?  Did they get it right?  Give your answer in the comments?

Also, here is your top three of 2012-2013:
·      1st place – Girl, Stolen – April Henry (859 votes)
·      2nd place – The Lost Hero – Rick Riordan (769 votes)
·      3rd place – Virals – Kathy Reichs (708 votes)

To learn more about the Truman Nominees, check out the website for the Missouri Association of School Librarians at www.maslonline.org.

Next up, the promised list of the 2013-14 Truman Nominees…

No comments:

Post a Comment